Governance and Finance Coordinator
Join our team! The Vanier Institute of the Family is recruiting for an experienced administrator and bookkeeper to contribute to our mission of promoting the wellbeing of Canadian families in all their diversities.
Working closely with the Director of Corporate Services, the Governance and Finance Coordinator provides logistical and records management services to both management and the volunteers on the Board of Directors and its related committees, and administers payroll, payment, and bookkeeping procedures for the Institute.
Support Vanier Institute governance activities:
- Orient new Board members to Microsoft Teams and operating procedures
- Prepare and distribute meeting agendas and related documents, in collaboration with Committee chairs, the Executive Director, and the Director of Corporate Services
- Take minutes of Board and Committee meetings
- Maintain Board and Committee electronic files
Provide bookkeeping and accounting services, in keeping with Vanier Institute financial control systems:
- Administer payroll through Ceridian
- Confirm that invoices in Accounts Payable have been approved as per authorization policies and set up payment transactions online
- Enter journal transactions for monthly closures, Endowment fund reconciliations, and payroll
- Complete month-end bookkeeping routines, and prepare financial reports for review by the Director of Corporate Services
- Prepare HST rebate filing based on QuickBooks records
- Support the Director of Corporate Services in preparing audit schedules and responding to auditor queries
Assist executive management as needed:
- Maintain compliance and reporting schedules based on statutory or contracted requirements (CRA, Industry Canada, foundations), and alert responsible parties to approaching deadlines
- Provide logistical support for travel, conference and speaking engagements, and other activities of the Executive Director
- A diploma in office administration and/or bookkeeping with three years of related work experience, or a combination of training and work/life experience that provides an equivalent base
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and act with discretion
- Extremely well organized with high attention to detail
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities, evolving processes, and stakeholder feedback
- Superior time management and organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Bilingual in English and French
- Experience working in a not-for-profit organization
- Experience working with a Board of Directors
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office 365 and QuickBooks Online
- Familiarity with Ceridian Powerpay
Conditions and Benefits
The Governance and Finance Officer is a 90% full-time position (33.75 hours per week) and will be based out of the Ottawa headquarters of the Vanier Institute of the Family, at 94 Centrepointe Drive. In negotiation with the Director of Corporate Services, the incumbent may have the opportunity to work from home up to 40% of the time.
The starting salary for this position has been set at $60,000 (to be pro-rated to 90%). The successful candidate will be eligible for an annual cost of living adjustment on July 1 of each year following the first year of service. Vacation entitlement starts at 4 weeks per year, with additional leave possible after 8 years of service.
The Vanier Institute of the Family provides a comprehensive, employer-paid benefits package, including health, dental, and life insurance, as well as a defined contribution pension plan.
All leave policies are interpreted with a lens to supporting family wellbeing and work/life integration.
Applications must be received by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, May 29, 2022.
To apply, visit https://secure.collage.co/jobs/vanierinstitute/30736. You will need to upload a cover letter and a resume.
Interviews for the position will be held in Ottawa during the week of June 6–10, 2022. Reasonable accommodations to ensure accessibility shall be made at every step of the application process, on a candidate’s request.
The Vanier Institute commits to contacting all applicants to confirm whether they will be interviewed.