Vanier Institute e-newsletter highlighting recent news, publications, events and media appearances.
The Vanier Institute welcomes new appointments to the Board of Directors
The Vanier Institute of the Family is pleased to announce the election of three new Directors. Joining the Board are Maha Fakih, Rob Shea and Alain Robillard-Bastien for three-year terms. Marie Vaillancourt remains Chair of the Board for another one-year term. In the coming months, the Board will focus on developing strategies to leverage the Institute’s research on the impacts of COVID-19 on family well-being.
COVID-19 IMPACTS: Veteran Families Survey
We are currently conducting a survey of Veterans and Veteran family members to learn about their unique experiences, thoughts and feelings on the future.
With the help of our partners, collaborators and others who study, serve and support military and Veteran families, we are inviting Veteran families to share their experiences in a crowdsourced survey, funded by True Patriot Love Foundation.
The COVID‑19 IMPACTS: Veteran Families Survey is open to anyone who is a Veteran or a member of a Veteran family.
PLEASE SHARE the link with your networks and with Veterans and Veteran families you know.
Contribute to the development of a post-COVID Canada, inform programs and inspire innovation!
- Annual Report 2019–2020 Now Available! Announcement (1,200 words).
- Jack Jedwab and ACS Receive the 2020 Mirabelli-Glossop Award. Announcement (400 words).
- Vanier Institute Welcomes New Appointments to the Board of Directors. Announcement (350 words).
What We’re Reading
- Faculty of Health Sciences, How Military Research Can Improve the Lives of First Responders and Their Families, Queen’s University (November 3, 2020).
- Paula Arriagada, “The Experiences and Needs of Older Caregivers in Canada,” Insights on Canadian Society, Statistics Canada catalogue no. 75-006-X (November 24, 2020).
- Chih, J. Q. Wilson-Yang, K. Dhaliwal et al. on behalf of the Trans PULSE Canada Team, Health and Well-being Among Racialized Trans and Non-binary People in Canada (November 2, 2020).
- Lun Li, Andrew V. Wister and Barbara Mitchell, Social Isolation Among Spousal and Adult-child Caregivers: Findings from the Canadian Longitudinal Study on Aging (November 10, 2020).
- Sophie Mathieu and Diane-Gabrielle Tremblay, Les employeurs: des partenaires essentiels de la conciliation famille-travail (November 14, 2020).
What’s in the Media
- The Data Talks: How Statistics Canada Measured a Pandemic. Article by Public Policy Forum.
- Designed for Inclusion. Article by Braden Gray via The Fold featuring research from Sharing a Roof: Multi-generational Homes in Canada.
- How to Preserve the Tradition of Family Dinner Togetherness. Article by ShareFit featuring research from (Still) Eating Together: The Culture of the Family Meal.
- How to Survive Your Back-to-Back Meetings. Article by Joan featuring research from (Still) Eating Together: The Culture of the Family Meal.
- Ultra-rapid Development and Deployment of a Family Resilience Program During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Lessons Learned from Families Tackling Tough Times Together. Article by Yumary Ruiz et al. via Journal of Military, Veteran and Family Health.
- COVID-19: The Impact on Youth. Video and podcast by Unpublished Cafe featuring Vanier Institute CEO Nora Spinks.
To automatically receive monthly updates about our publications, projects and networks, sign up for our e-newsletter.