Symposium on Family Learning, Inclusion and the Value of Play in Museums
On December 4 and 5, 2019, the Canadian Children’s Museum is holding a Symposium on Family Learning, Inclusion and the Value of Play in Museums at the Canadian Museum of History in Gatineau, Quebec. Vanier Institute CEO Nora Spinks will join key speakers to discuss modern families and the importance of accessible and inclusive design in family learning settings. Register today!
Families in Canada Conference Satellite Event (Concordia University)
Save the date! On February 20, 2020, Concordia University’s Department of Applied Human Science, the engAGE Centre for Research on Aging and the Centre for Human Relations and Community Studies will be hosting a Families in Canada Conference satellite event, featuring panels and presentations with local programming that will explore themes and topics of interest to Quebecers through a family lens. More details coming soon – stay tuned!
- In Conversation with Lisa Wolff, Director, Policy and Research, UNICEF Canada. Article (2,000 words).
- “Virtual Parenting” After Separation and Divorce. Article (3,000 words).
- Modern Family Finances: Military and Veteran Families in Canada. Fact sheet (1,000 words).
- Concordia University to Host Families in Canada Satellite Event (February 20, 2020). Announcement (1,000 words).
- Facts and Stats: Maternal Mental Health in Canada. Fact sheet (800 words).
What We’re Reading
- The Change Foundation, Spotlight on Ontario’s Caregivers Report 2019 (October 2019).
- Barbara Neis and Katherine Lippel, “Occupational Health and Safety and the Mobile Workforce: Insights from a Canadian Research Program,” NEW SOLUTIONS: A Journal of Environmental and Occupational Health Policy (October 13, 2019).
- Valérie Ouellet and Caitlin Taylor, “‘They’re Not Taking It Seriously’: Under-reporting of Student Violence Persists,” CBC News (October 24, 2019). Part of the School Violence series.
- David Common, Anu Singh and Caitlin Taylor, “‘I Thought He Was Dead’: CBC Survey Reveals 4 in 10 Boys Are Physically Assaulted at School,” CBC News (October 24, 2019). Part of the School Violence series.
- Caitlin Taylor, Anu Singh and David Common, “More Than 1 in 7 Girls Say They Were Sexually Assaulted by Another Student – But Schools Lack Policies to Help,” CBC News (October 25, 2019). Part of the School Violence series.
- Émilie Dubreuil, “La vie après l’armée, le nouveau champ de bataille des femmes militaires,” Radio-Canada (November 11, 2019) (available in French only).
What’s in the Media
- Jour du Souvenir: les familles des militaires se sacrifient elles aussi (available in French only). Le Devoir article featuring research from Modern Family Finances: Military and Veteran Families in Canada.
- Remembering the Sacrifices of Canada’s Military Families. National Post article featuring research from Modern Family Finances: Military and Veteran Families in Canada.
- How Can Families Be Imagined Beyond Kinship and Marriage? EPW Engage article featuring research from What’s in a Name? Defining Family in a Diverse Society.
- Club Sandwich Generation? 5 Tips. Golden Girl Finance article featuring research from A Snapshot of Grandparents in Canada.
- Congratulations to Valerie Wood, PhD, Recipient of the 2019 Colonel Russell Mann Military and Veteran Family Health Research Award! Queen’s University Department of Psychology article featuring Vanier Institute Senior Advisor Russell Mann.
- Two Families’ Modern Take on the Multi-generational Home. CBC News article featuring research from Sharing a Roof: Multi-generational Homes in Canada.
- Does Banning Cellphones Help Students Focus? Experts Are Divided. Global News article featuring research from The Online Lives of Canadian Youth.
- Military, Veteran and Family Conference Focuses on Cutting Edge Research. Canadian Military Family Magazine article featuring the Vanier Institute.
To automatically receive monthly updates about our publications, projects and networks, sign up for our e-newsletter.
Published on November 29, 2019