Please enjoy our last monthly update before summer break. The Vanier Institute will remain active throughout the summer, and you can continue to find updates, announcements and new publications on our website. See you in September!
- Families in Canada Conference 2019 (coming in March 2019)
In the last week of March 2019, the Vanier Institute will host a national, pan-Canadian conference with simultaneous satellite regional conferences co-hosted by university partners across Canada.
This unique and inclusive series of events will bring together diverse leaders from across the country who study, serve and support families for two days of knowledge-sharing and catalytic conversation.
With engaging presentations, panel discussions, workshops and performances, delegates will explore modern families and family life, share experiences, highlight leading and emerging policies and practices, and learn from the stories behind the statistics.
Registration opens in September.
Sign up for our e-newsletter and follow the #FAM2019 hashtag for updates and announcements on this one-of-a-kind event!
- Facts and Stats: Indigenous Families in Canada. News, publication (1,000 words).
- Infographic: Fathers and Work in Canada. News, publication (1,000 words).
- First Nations, Métis and Inuit Statistics: The Way Forward. News, announcement (250 words).
- Changes to the Divorce Act Aim to Strengthen the Canadian Family Justice System. Announcement (350 words).
- Flexible, Accessible and Inclusive: Benefit for Parents of Young Victims of Crime. Announcement (250 words).
- Family Perspectives: Death and Dying in Canada by Katherine Arnup, PhD. Publication (26,000 words).
What We’re Reading
- Relationship Conflict, Work Conditions, and the Health of Mothers with Young Children (Elizabeth Cozzolino, Kate C. Prickett and Robert Crosnoe, Journal of Family Issues)
- Comparaison du revenu d’emploi médian des femmes et des hommes au Québec en 2015 : analyse par profession (Luc Cloutier-Villeneuve, Institut de la statistique du Québec, available in French only)
- Jeunes consommateurs et crédit à la consommation (Jacinthe Cloutier, Institute for Research on Public Policy, available in French only)
- Early Adolescents’ Relationships with Parents, Teachers, and Peers and Increases in Social Anxiety Symptoms (Bridget B. Weymouth and Cheryl Buehler, APA PsycNet)
- Understanding the Roots of Abuse (Tazeen Inam, New Canadian Media)
What’s in the Media
- All in the Family: Meet 3 Parents Who Won a Historic Legal Victory for Polyamorous Families. CBC News article featuring research from Polyamory in Canada: Research on an Emerging Family Structure.
- Fathers and Work. Global News Radio interview with Vanier Institute CEO Nora Spinks featuring research from our Fathers and Work in Canada infographic.
- Fathers Work, but Are More Involved at Home: Analysis. Radio Canada International article featuring research from our Fathers and Work in Canada infographic.
- Eat Together to Create Healthy Habits for Your Kids. Erie Media article featuring research from A Snapshot of Families and Food in Canada.
- When Friends Decide to Co-parent: A Look at the Modern Family. UC Observer article featuring Vanier Institute CEO Nora Spinks.
To automatically receive monthly updates about our publications, projects and networks, sign up for our e-newsletter.
Published on June 29, 2018