On March 27 and 28, 2019, in Ottawa, Ontario, the Vanier Institute of the Family will host the Families in Canada Conference 2019 (#FAM2019) – a national, pan-Canadian conference held simultaneously with satellite events co-hosted by university partners across Canada.
Join delegates from across the country who study, serve and support families for two days of knowledge-sharing and catalytic conversation!
#FAM2019 presenters include:
Director, Employment Insurance Special Benefits, Employment and Social Development Canada
Simona Bignami, PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Demography, Université de Montréal
Aging Out Program Manager, Adoption Council of Canada
Heidi Cramm, PhD, OT Reg. (Ontario)
Associate Scientist, Strategic Initiatives, Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research (CIMVHR)
Kieran B. Drachenberg
Student/Activist, Nunavut Arctic College
Recreation Therapist, CHEO; Chairperson of the Board, Abilities Centre Ottawa
Jack Jedwab, PhD
President/CEO, Association for Canadian Studies/Canadian Institute for Identities and Migration
Todd Nicholson, MSc
Five-Time Paralympian, Abilities Centre Ottawa
Mental Health Worker, Hong Fook Mental Health Association
Parminder Raina, PhD
Professor, Department of Health Research Methods, Evidence, and Impact, McMaster University
Valerie Steeves, PhD
Full Professor, Department of Criminology, University of Ottawa
Founder/President, Syrian Youth Council of Ottawa
#FAM2019 Sponsor: AGE-WELL
AGE-WELL is a pan-Canadian network that brings together researchers, older adults, caregivers, partner organizations and future leaders to accelerate the delivery of technology-based solutions that make a meaningful difference in the lives of Canadians.
#FAM2019 Sponsor: Military Family Services
Military Family Services (MFS) manages the Military Family Services Program (MFSP) on behalf of the Department of National Defence. MFSP contributes to the operational effectiveness of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) by strengthening CAF families and communities.
- Dalhousie University Hosting #FAM2019 Satellite Event. Announcement, event (150 words)
- In Focus 2019: Couples Living Apart in Canada. Announcement, news (350 words)
- University of Manitoba Hosting #FAM2019 Satellite Event. Announcement, event (150 words)
- In Focus 2019: Adults Living with Parents. Announcement, news (500 words)
- Memorial University of Newfoundland Hosting #FAM2019 Satellite Event. Announcement, event (150 words)
- In Focus 2019: Grandparents in Canada. Announcement, news (1,000 words)
- University of Prince Edward Island Hosting #FAM2019 Satellite Event. Announcement, event (150 words)
What We’re Reading
- Dévoilement de l’étude – La paternité au Québec : un état des lieux (available in French only) (Regroupement pour la Valorisation de la Paternité)
- Results from the 2016 Census: Syrian Refugees Who Resettled in Canada in 2015 and 2016 (Statistics Canada)
- Developmental Milestones: Child Care Fees in Canada’s Big Cities 2018 (Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives)
What’s in the Media
- Adults Living with Parents Aren’t Freeloaders, Statistics Canada Finds. Toronto Storeys article featuring Vanier Institute CEO Nora Spinks.
- Workplace Relief Funds Encourage Staff to Support Colleagues. Benefits Canada article featuring Vanier Institute CEO Nora Spinks.
- Statistics Canada Says Adults Living with Parents Usually Employed and Single. Vancouver Courier article featuring Vanier Institute CEO Nora Spinks.
- Finding Solutions to Support Families of Serving and Retired Members of the Canadian Armed Forces and First Responders Suffering with Post-Traumatic Stress (PTS). Canada News Wire media release featuring the Vanier Institute of the Family.
- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Is Backtracking on Year-Long Parental Leaves. Quartz at Work article featuring Vanier Institute CEO Nora Spinks.
- Number of Grandparents Rising in Canada, Statistics Canada Says. CBC News article featuring Vanier Institute CEO Nora Spinks.
- Is Video Game Addiction Becoming More Problematic? Air 106.1 article featuring research from the Vanier Institute.
- Non-Traditional Families (February 18, 2019). Zoomer Radio interview with Vanier Institute CEO Nora Spinks.
- Poverty and Social Inclusion for Families in Manitoba Conference. UM Today news on a satellite event, part of the Families in Canada Conference 2019.
To automatically receive monthly updates about our publications, projects and networks, sign up for our e-newsletter.
Published on February 28, 2019