The Vanier Institute team wishes you and your family health, happiness and harmony this holiday season and into the new year.
Please note that our office will be closed from December 23, 2019 to January 3, 2020 (inclusive) while we spend time with our families and friends.
On February 20, 2020, Concordia University’s Department of Applied Human Science, the engAGE Centre for Research on Aging and the Centre for Human Relations and Community Studies will be hosting a Families in Canada Conference satellite event in collaboration with the Vanier Institute of the Family.
Leaders who study, serve and support families will gather to explore a variety of themes and topics of interest to Quebecers through a family lens. Topics will include Coming of Age, Navigating Family Relationships, Intergenerational Connections and Inclusion and Belonging in Later Life. See the preliminary schedule for more information.
- Annual Report 2018–2019 Now Available! Report (2,000 words).
- Vanier Institute Welcomes New Appointments to Board of Directors. Announcement (500 words).
- Work, Care and the Carer-Inclusive and Accommodating Organizations (CIAO) Standard by Emily Beckett. Article (1,300 words).
- In Conversation with Lisa Wolff, Director, Policy and Research, UNICEF Canada. Article (2,000 words).
- “Virtual Parenting” After Separation and Divorce. Article (3,000 words).
What We’re Reading
- Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Institute, The Impact of Military Life on Children from Military Families, Journal of Military, Veteran and Family Health, Vol. 5, No. S2, 2019 (full edition).
- Laura M. Funk, “Relieving the Burden of Navigating Health and Social Services for Older Adults and Caregivers,” IRPP Study, No. 73 (November 6, 2019).
- Sheila Block, Grace-Edward Galabuzi and Ricardo Tranjan, Canada’s Colour Coded Income Inequality, Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (December 2019).
- Véronique Dupéré, Isabelle Archambault, Hélène Desrosiers and Virginie Nanhou, “Obtenir un diplôme avant l’âge de 20 ans: une analyse ancrée dans une perspective des parcours de vie,” L’ELDEQ en bref (December 5, 2019) (available in French only).
- Ashton M. Verdery et al., “Kinlessness Around the World,” The Journals of Gerontology: Series B, 74:8 (November 2019).
What’s in the Media
- King’s Faculty Exploring the Risks and Benefits of Virtual Parenting. King’s University College article featuring “Virtual Parenting” After Separation and Divorce by Rachel Birnbaum.
- Military, Veteran and Family Conference Focuses on Cutting Edge Research. Canadian Military Family Magazine article featuring the Vanier Institute.
To automatically receive monthly updates about our publications, projects and networks, sign up for our e-newsletter.
Published on December 13, 2019