A monthly e-newsletter highlighting recent Vanier Institute publications, projects and research
Cycle 2 of COVID-19 IMPACTS: Veteran Families Survey Launched
Share your voice! Tell us how COVID‑19 is impacting your family by participating in the second cycle of the COVID-19 IMPACTS: Veteran Families Survey!
True Patriot Love Foundation and the Vanier Institute of the Family invite you to share your experience, thoughts and ideas. We are crowdsourcing to gather information and insights about how Veteran families are feeling, what they are doing and what they are thinking about the future as we continue to adapt to changing circumstances.
The survey is open to anyone who is a Veteran or a member of a Veteran family.
PLEASE SHARE the link with your networks and with Veterans and Veteran families you know. Contribute to the development of a post-COVID Canada, inform programs and inspire innovation!
Experiences in Caregiving During COVID-19: What Have We Learned?
On Tuesday, April 6, 2021, we hosted a webinar in partnership with AGE-WELL and the University of Alberta to mark National Caregiver Day. The Vanier Institute of the Family CEO Nora Spinks moderated the event, which covered experiences in caregiving, how the pandemic has affected caregivers, what the last year has taught us – and what can make it easier for people who care for family members and friends.
- Positive Impacts of Parental Benefits on Couple Relationships. Research summary (1,100 words).
- Family Well-being in Canada. Report (400 words).
- Mothers, Mothering, and COVID-19: Dispatches from a Pandemic. Book review (500 words).
- Stressful Life Events and Food Insecurity. In Brief: Research summary (400 words).
- Gender Wage Gaps Among University-Educated Employees in Quebec. In Brief: Research summary (350 words).
- Trans and Non-binary Immigrant and Newcomer Well-being. In Brief: Research summary (550 words).
- US Survey on Employee Well-Being Within Higher Education. In Brief: Research summary (450 words).
What We’re Reading
- CBC Interactive, Black on the Prairies (April 25, 2021).
- Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, The Cost of Poverty in the Atlantic Provinces (April 2021).
- MNP Consumer Debt Index, More Than Half (53%) of Canadians Within $200 of Financial Insolvency; Up 10 Points Since December, Reaching a Five-Year High (April 7, 2021).
- Emily Cameron-Blake et al., Variation in the Canadian Provincial and Territorial Responses to COVID-19 (BSG Working Paper Series) (April 19, 2021).
- S. Aryan Ghaffarizadeh et al., Life and Work of Researchers Trapped in the COVID-19 Pandemic Vicious Cycle (February 3, 2021).
What’s in the Media
- The Vanier Institute of the Family Looks at How Families Have Been Coping Over the Last Year. CBC Radio segment featuring Vanier Institute CEO Nora Spinks.
- Why This Stage of the Pandemic May Prove the Steepest Climb Yet. CBC News article featuring Vanier Institute CEO Nora Spinks.
- Relationships in the Age of COVID-19. Full Society article featuring research from COVID-19 IMPACTS: Couple Relationships in Canada.
- How Today’s Crisis Will Affect Your Retirement. MSN article featuring research from COVID-19 IMPACTS: Retirees and Family Finances in Canada.
- Month of the Military Child. Kingston Garrison News article featuring research from Military and Veteran Families in Canada Initiative.
- Campaign Recognizes Military Children. The Brandon Sun article featuring research from A Snapshot of Military and Veteran Families in Canada.
To automatically receive monthly updates about our publications, projects and networks, sign up for our e-newsletter.