Articles and Blog Posts
Vanier Institute articles explore the diversity and complexity of families and the reality of family life in Canada with contributions from people who study, serve and support families, as well as people with lived experience. Produced in English and French since 1970, our articles provide information, insights and inspiration to our diverse readership, which includes researchers, educators, students, journalists, family service workers, policy–makers and more.
Formerly published in Transition magazine, our articles have been available exclusively as online publications since January 2016. Articles published in 2013–2015 are available in accessible PDF format upon request.
- “Virtual Parenting” After Separation and Divorce, Rachel Birnbaum, PhD, RSW, LLM
- New Resource for Early Learning and Child Care Professionals and Practitioners Working with Canadian Military and Veteran Families
- What’s in a Name? Defining Family in a Diverse Society, Alan Mirabelli
- Work and Family: The Impact of Mobility, Scheduling and Precariousness, Elise Thorburn, PhD (Memorial University)
- Facing Death: Emerging Trends in Death and Dying in Canada, Emily Beckett
- Modern Motherhood: The Unique Experiences of Women with Physical Disabilities, Lesley A. Tarasoff
- Family Finances: Investments in Education, Stacy Yanchuk Oleksy and Nathan Battams
- Health Care Experiences of Military Families of Children with Autism, Heidi Cramm, Ph.D.
- Grandparent Health and Family Well-Being, Rachel Margolis, Ph.D.
- Employment Mobility and Family Gentrification in Montreal, Steven High, Lysiane Goulet Gervais, Michelle Duchesneau and Dany Guay-Bélanger
- Polyamory in Canada: Research on an Emerging Family Structure, John-Paul Boyd, M.A., LL.B.
- Supporting the Health of Mothers and Their Babies in the Context of Incarceration, Dr. Ruth Elwood Martin and Brenda Tole
- Circuits of Care: Mobility, Work and Managing Family Relationships, Dr. Sara Dorow and Shingirai Mandizadza, PhDc
- Modern Fathers Reshaping the Work–Family Relationship, Nathan Battams
- Intergenerational Relations and Societal Change, Donna S. Lero, Ph.D.
- Public Policy Brief – Flex: From a Privilege to a Right, Sara MacNaull
- Building Inclusive Communities for Canada’s Military and Veteran Families, Col (retd) Russell Mann
- Joining the Family: My Student Placement Experience, Part 2, Monique Velisovsky
- Language, Labels and “Lone Parents”, Victoria Bailey
- Review: The Importance of Being Little by Erika Christakis (review by Monique Velisovsky)
- Joining the Family: My Student Placement Experience, Part 1, Monique Velisovsky
- It’s Time to Care for Our (Young) Carers, Andrea Breen, Ph.D.
- My Caregiving Journey, Katherine Arnup, Ph.D.
- Work–Family Conflict Among Single Parents in the Canadian Armed Forces, Alla Skomorovsky, Ph.D.
- Flex at Work Benchmarking Initiative, Sara MacNaull and Nora Spinks
- Family Caregiving in Canada: A Fact of Life and a Human Right by Nathan Battams
- The Current State of Military Family Research, Heidi Cramm, Deborah Norris, Linna Tam-Seto, Maya Eichler and Kimberley Smith-Evans
2015 and Older
- 50 Years of Understanding Families in Canada, Nora Spinks
- OFF THE VANIER BOOKSHELF: Family Futures (UNDESA-DSPD), Sara MacNaull
- (Still) Eating Together: The Culture of the Family Meal, Paul Fieldhouse
- No Longer Just “Child’s Play”: Electronic Gaming in Canada, Nathan Battams
- Looking Forward to the Next 50 Years, Nora Spinks
- Reflections on Reaching 50, Al MacKay
- Beyond the “Ideal”: Beryl Plumptre and the Vanier Institute’s Definition of “Family”, Alan Mirabelli
- Beyond the Boardroom Table, Robert Glossop, Ph.D.
- A Day with Madame Vanier, Carmen Couillard Bjerre, Ph.D.
- Family Is…, Sara MacNaull
- Collaborative Settlement: Resolving Disputes After Separation or Divorce, John-Paul Boyd, M.A., LL.B.
- Strength in Diversity: Positive Impacts of Children with Disabilities, Michelle R. Lodewyks
- Respect, Reconciliation and Resilience: Phil Fontaine and Archbishop Weisgerber in Conversation, Nathan Battams
- Modern Maternity Care in Canada, Cecilia Benoit
- Dads Play a Greater Role at Home: Family Life Benefits, Nathan Battams
- Family Finances: Investments in Education, Stacy Yanchuk Oleksy
- Caring Enough to Flex, Flexing Enough to Care, Sara MacNaull
- Sharing a Roof: Multi-generational Homes in Canada, Nathan Battams
- Modern Caregiving in Canada, Janet E. Fast and Donna S. Lero
- Modern Fatherhood: Paternal Involvement and Family Relationships, Ian DeGeer, Humberto Carolo and Todd Minerson
- The Health Care Experiences of LGBTQ+ Seniors, Laura Zuccaro
- Modern Money Management, Stacy Yanchuk Oleksy
- Ageism and the Experience of Health Care, Nathan Battams
- OFF THE VANIER BOOKSHELF: The Healing Journey: Intimate Partner Abuse and Its Implications in the Labour Market (Linda DeRiviere), Nathan Battams
- Dividing Matrimonial Property: Common-Law Partners Still Excluded from Property Laws, Rollie Thompson
- Strengthening Ties Through Technology, Nathan Battams
- Young Carers Gaining Visibility in Canada, Vass Bednar
- When Cupboards Are Bare: Food Insecurity and Public Health, Nathan Battams
- Connected, Mobile and Social: The Online Lives of Canadian Youth, Matthew Johnson
- OFF THE VANIER BOOKSHELF: Valuing Children: Rethinking the Economics of the Family (Nancy Folbre), Nathan Battams
- Celebrating Ian: A Unique Parenting Experience, Ann Douglas