- Dr. Heidi Cramm receives Colonel Russell Mann Military Family Health Research Award. News, announcement (150 words).
- The Canadian Debate on Spanking and Violence Against Children. Article, guest post (1,500 words).
- New Resource for Family Physicians Working with Canadian Military Families. News, announcement (600 words).
- Annual Report 2015–2016: Fifty Years of Understanding Families in Canada. Publication (8,000 words).
What We’re Reading
- Balancing Family and Work: Transition to Self-employment Among New Mothers (Statistics Canada)
- Hunger Count 2016 (Food Banks Canada)
- Caring for Children and Youth from Canadian Military Families: Special Considerations (Canadian Paediatric Society)
- Disabilities in the Workplace: The Working Mother Report (Working Mother Research Institute)
What’s in the Media
- B.C. health care system relies heavily on family caregivers, says Vanier Institute. CBC News article featuring Vanier Institute CEO Nora Spinks.
- Caregivers need some care themselves. Vancouver Sun article by Vanier Institute CEO Nora Spinks and Dr. Janet Fast.
- Not accommodating homecare may hurt employers in long-run. Business in Vancouver article featuring Vanier Institute CEO Nora Spinks.
- BIV on Roundhouse November 17: The oil sector’s “surprisingly small” role in the B.C. economy. Business in Vancouver interview with Vanier Institute CEO Nora Spinks about family caregiving (audio link).
- Trudeau heads to WE Day as world reels over US election results. Ottawa Citizen news watchlist featuring the Canadian Military and Veteran Families Leadership Circle.
- The Granny Files: Helping with grandchildren can be a blessing and a burden. The Globe and Mail article featuring data from the Vanier Institute report A Snapshot of Grandparents in Canada.
Our office will be closed from December 23 to January 2 (inclusive) while we spend time with our families during the holidays.